Sunday, May 3, 2015

All the Kelly Rutherfords


Most, if not all of you, know that I write under a pseudonym.  In fact, this is my second pseudonym, adopted after my ex-husband topped off 30 years of abuse with a $2 million defamation suit against me.  He’s not rich or famous.  He lost nothing because of my writing.  In fact, he didn’t even lose any social standing because, as it turned out in our defense investigation, he has left a trail of other victims…romantic, social, and work…since my escape with my kids in November, 2009.  I have been working on rebuilding my platform under this name after shutting down a thriving set of sites with 6,000 hits a week in over 40 countries.

 

For the last 3 years, I have been an advocate for survivors of primarily non-physical abuse.  This is the abuse that finds its power in terror without crossing into physical beating.  None of his punches landed on me.  The table saw he threw missed me.  The various threats to leave me penniless with my children…HIS children…and the manipulatively-applied labels of “crazy” and “mentally unstable” were part of his scheme that kept me entrapped for a quarter century.  This is the abuse that Dr. Evan Stark aptly described in his book, Coercive Control, and frequently results in what Dr. Karin Huffer first identified as a PTSD sub-category, Legal Abuse Syndrome.

 

As I watch the Kelly Rutherford case take another direction, I have something to add:  as crazy, unlawful, mind-boggling, and utterly unthinkable as Kelly’s case is, she is one of many.  Tens of thousands, in fact.  I thank God that she is brave enough to keep this fight in the public eye. I also know that for every person in the news who has the fortitude to continue to battle Napoleonic judges with too much power and no oversight, there are hundreds of thousands who never make the news.  Until it’s too late.

 

In my journey, I have had the good fortune to meet some pretty incredible, high-profile people.  I am so blessed by their presence in my life and our shared purpose in attempting, in whatever way we can, to keep people talking about the egregiousness and randomness of the courts.  It isn’t just the family courts, either.  Abusers are known for their penchant to involve as many facets of the legal system as possible to continue to abuse.

 

As I understand Kelly’s case, she ended her marriage over infidelity (and there were zero claims of her being a bad parent).  Kelly also recounts very specific and horrific things her ex-husband said to her.  That, my friends, is abuse.  Study after study shows the devastating impact on the psyche of being belittled, verbally assaulted, demeaned, degraded, and even ignored.  The chemical impacts on the brain are real and proven.  Nonetheless, in Kelly’s case and in many others, judges are neither trauma-informed nor looking for signs of fear or abuse in a party to a divorce.

 

Make no mistake, I have had male clients, as well as female.  They are verbally emasculated, dodge a flying lamp or vase, even experience the threats of “you’ll never see your children again”.  But let me tell you about just a few cases I have personally worked on.

 

In Orange County, California, one client’s ex-husband is an attorney.  He and his father colluded to claim that the father had loaned the son and my client $300,000 and thus, $150,000 of it was her responsibility as “marital debt”.  She is a teacher who had been home raising their children.  Neither the father nor son could produce any proof whatsoever of this money changing hands.  No receipts, bank statements, loan agreement, cancelled checks…nothing.  Yet my client is now taking care of 3 children while her ex-husband refuses to pay his ordered support and she is expected to pay her ex-father-in-law $150,000 in addition to everything else she was stuck with.

 

In Virginia, one client has been repeatedly arrested and subsequently convicted for physical attacks against her ex-husband.  There was zero proof provided.  None.  In fact, the first time he claims she attacked him, she was at the emergency room and produced the discharge papers to prove it.  He has never demonstrated any injury.  Her crime?  Giving up her career as a nurse anesthetist to take care of two special needs children, and then divorcing an abusive cardiac surgeon.  She has now lost her clinical license after being convicted with no proof.

 

In New Jersey, a client’s ex-husband is the leader of a large company.  After she divorced him, he physically attacked her and broke her wrist.  She was awarded a large sum in a personal injury suit against him, which he then answered with a massive suit for defamation of character because she dared make him accountable for his physical attack.  Meanwhile, he continues to attack their children during visitations.

 

The list I have amassed is enough to make any rational person lose hope.  But the bottom line is, we must make judges and court systems accountable.  In the National Association of Family Court Judges’ Bench Book on Safety in Child Custody Cases, judges are specifically instructed to ignore any claims of Parental Alienation Syndrome (junk science, debunked about 30 different ways), to carefully assess claims of abuse, and to never, ever assume that an accusation of mental illness by the custody-seeking party is accurate. 

 

Yet this is exactly what goes on in courts all over the United States, every day.

 

And children die.

 

Let me say that again:  Children.Die.  (See www.cappuccinoqueen.com)

 

I am in awe of Kelly Rutherford and her continuing to pursue every possible avenue to get her children back.  I hope she will keep going.  I hope that everyone who watches her will remember that for every Kelly, there are thousands of others.  For every Hermes and Helena, there are tens of thousands more being kept from having a healthy and loving parent.

 

I’ll keep talking.  I hope Kelly and all of her friends will, too.

 

AC

No comments:

Post a Comment